Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Story in Videos... Getting Left in the Lake District

Dove Cottage Gift Shop: 30 pounds

Getting Left at Dove Cottage for Leaving Gift Shop Late: 4 pounds + 3.5 hour walk

Getting to post experience on blogger: priceless


What a day this turned into.  Dove Cottage (William Wordsworth home) was a great experience and just had the cutest darndest gift shop.  Waiting in line I saw the number of BYU students around begin to dwindle.  Soon it was just two other girls and me, both ahead in line.  Well to put it plainly out of the three of us, one made it to the bus on time.  The Director made it a point to leave on time.  The phrase "Never Leave a Man Behind" did not seem to cross his mind.  The coach was scheduled to depart at 11:00.  We made it back to the parking lot by 11:04.  I bet you can guess, there was no coach to be seen.  The Director was able to prove his point (for all knew we were missing) and my friend and I were able to have a unique and memorable afternoon.
   At first moment however, it was not quite this happy event I really thought to be "memorable."  Not knowing where our hostel was located and not having any type of phone gave way for a moment of freak out.  But only a moment, of course.  Being a well brought up and sophisticated young woman  (thanks mom and dad :) ), I pulled myself together and remembered the emergency contact sheet we were given with all the phone numbers of our professors and Brooke (the girl also left) realized she had the itinerary in her bag.  So we traversed through the doors of the nearest restaurant and explained our dilemma.  They so kindly allowed us to use their phone... The phone rang and rang... I have to say what is the use of an emergency contact sheet if not one phone listed is in service!  So, we left a message and decided to begin our jaunt to locate our hostel.  The restaurant manager gave us directions and we were off.  It turned out to be 5 to 6 miles, which you wouldn't think would take three hours to walk, but yet, somehow we were successful in taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R! Maybe it has to do with our slow pace, or our hopping over walls, or even our walking along walls,  who knows? 
I feel like for a brief moment of time I now know how it would feel to be a backpacker or even a vagabond!... Maybe not so much a vagabond.  We began our expedition a little after 11:00 and arrived at the hostel around 2:30.  You know though, it almost was a good thing we didn't make it because I guess they drove up in the mountains around the lake and everyone, no exaggeration it was everyone, got carsick!  Well for the girl who used to get carsick on the way home from school and knew the little baggies they have on busses and planes quite well, I was not disappointed to know I was left! 

Well that is my story, I hope you enjoy it!  



2 comments:

  1. nicoletta, i don't think that leaving a video message for your parentals on a busy busy road with no sidewalk fills them with much comfort.

    oh, onward... lesson learned. no present for su madre is worth a 3.5 hour walk....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roommate! I didn't know you had a travel blog! I'm so adding you as one of my blog friends and you should add me too! mine is cranetrain@blogspot.com your adventures look amazing! I wish I could be there with you! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete